Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Coupon Break

As you may have noticed, I have put a break on couponing... GASP!  There are many factors that have gone into this, but the main being that Matt and I have to start leading a healthier lifestyle.  We both have decided that us saving $40 a week is not enough of a "deal" to continue to eat processed foods.

Another reason being that Conner is really eating our table food now and I want him to eat healthy.  I don't want to prepare a healthy dinner for Conner and then fix us a not so healthy meal just because it was on sale that week.   That is just ridiculous to me. You can tell by my previous posts that I did buy healthy items like fresh produce, dairy and meats... but the majority of it was boxed, processed crap. 

I am reverting back to my Whole Foods and Trader Joes shopping (mostly Trader Joes).  Before we started couponing, I was driving  to GreenHills on the weekend and doing my weekly shopping... so I know that it can be done and it is not that big of a deal.  Also, I thought that it would be fun to make a morning of it with Conner.  We could go to the Farmers Market and then to GreenHills.  It is a great way to expose Conner to an abundance of fresh foods and produce.

If you are not familiar with Trader Joes, you need to check it out.  I LOVE this store!!!!!!  They have gourmet, natural and organic foods for a very reasonable price.  I think that the produce, dairy, and grocery items are comparable to Kroger, but the meats are a bit more expensive.  They offer organinc products, but everything is not organic.  If it is not organic, it will usually note that it is free from additives and/or hormones.  Which are the two main things for me anyways.  You definitely need to check it out, I wish there was one closer!

So to sum up what the price difference is going to be... This past weekend I spent $90 at Trader Joes and got Bfast, Lunch and Dinner for 7 days, but it did not include formula.  Two weeks ago, I spent $80 at Publix and Aldis forBfast, Lunch, Dinner for 5 days and Formula (the other two nights were for dining out... again, we are changing our ways!).  So we really are going to save money and be healthier in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment